Sunday, August 8, 2010

PI Hearing in Carson


It was a Friday on a sunny day in the city of Carson. Most of the interns showed up to a community hearing for the Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander Community. We had representatives behalf of the the Pacific Islander community talking about the issues that we face today and they were urging changes to be done by the legislative in Sacramento. It was really interesting to hear about the many issues we had in our community and I could relate to it because some of the many concerns the representatives had, was the very things that I grew up to or struggled through as well. I loved the way everyone from community activists to the people from the people in Sacramento actually showed up and how we came together in one room to try to gain a understanding on both sides. I was really grateful to have experienced this. We, the interns, as they said, are the products of change in the effort they are showing to the commissioners that we are doing our part in the community and that we want them to do the same.

It was good to hear the many voices of my people voicing their opinions. I hope that I can live to see changes being done i our community as we voiced our concerns and a cry for help to the people in the legislative system. It reminds me of what our rep. Tana Lepule said about how our ancestors were the ones who paved my peoples' way to get where we are. I know that anything is POSSIBLE when we have faith.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad that you had an opportunity to attend the Joint Hearing. I love reading your blogs!
    ~Khushbindar

    ReplyDelete